Skip to content

Main Content

105 Duke Street

Circa 1800
Grade II

105 Duke St
Dating from 1800, this fine ashlar building was designed by John Foster senior. Originally the Union Newsroom, it became Liverpool's first public library in 1852-60. 

Two storeys high, it has five bays to Duke Street and three bays to Slater Street. The ground floor has round-headed windows. The Slater Street elevation has a centre pediment, a Venetian window to the first floor with Ionic columns, and three round-headed windows to the ground floor.