Skip to content

Main Content

Warehouse and offices at 12 Hanover Street

1863 and 1889
Grade II

12 Hanover Street
A combined office and warehouse building of 1889, incorporating an earlier warehouse of 1863 in Argyle Street, the building is notable for its hybrid use and its extravagant design by the architect Edmund Kirby. 

Of soft red brick with terracotta detailing around the windows and chimneys that rise dramatically above a balustrade, the building is in a prominent position at the junction of Hanover Street, Duke Street and Paradise Street, and makes a theatrical statement as it turns the corner. 

Of four storeys and twelve bays, the ground floor has round-headed windows with sloping basement windows below. The third bay, off Duke Street has a cart entrance to serve an inner court that gives access to the loading bays of the warehouse. 

Above the main entrance are canted oriel windows, and the full length of the building at first floor has an iron balcony. At the top of the building is a Lombard frieze with balustrading between the chimneys.